Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wake up America!

This clip of Dennis Kucinich's speech to the DNC has gotten some play, but not, in my estimation, enough. His clarion call, "Wake Up America!" is more than a political call, it is a profoundly spiritual one. My husband, Aaron, first recognized it, and reminded me of one of my favorite stories in Zen Buddhism, about a monk who exhorts the practitioners to "wake up!" to become enlightened. Given Kucinich's practices and beliefs, I know that he is calling for America to do more than wake up to the implications of the Bush presidency, to the poverty, desperation, and decline in our nation -- he is calling on Americans to literally wake up, to become enlightened, to be mindful of our impact in the world - from global warming to our smallest, most minute daily interactions. We are all connected - and Kuchinich's fiery speech wants to remind us of that.

Today, at least, I am awake.

No comments: